Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Prairies

I love my prairies, they are mine
From the zenith to the horizon line,
Clipping a world of sky and sod
Like the bended arm and wrist of God.

I love their grasses. The skies
Are larger, and my restless eyes
Fasten of more of earth and air
Than seashore furnishes anywhere.

I love the hazel thickets;and the breeze,
The never resting prairie winds. The trees
That stand like the spear points high
Against the dark blue sky

Are wonderful to me. I love the gold
Of newly shaven stubble, rolled
A royal carpet toward the sun, fit to be
The pathway of a deity.

I love the life of pasture lands; the songs of birds
Are not more thrilling to me tha the herd's
Mad bellowing or the shadow stride
Of mounted herdsmen at my side.

I love my prairies, they are mine
From high sun to horizon line.
The mountians and the cold gray sea
Are not for me, are not for me.


By Hamlin Garland

No comments:

Post a Comment